Can a person who has genuinely repented of their sins, placed their faith in Jesus, been regenerated, justified, and adopted by God lose their salvation? Another way of asking this question would be, can a child of God be thrown out of the family of God for any reason? The Baptist Faith and Message, Article V states, “All true believers endure to the end. Those whom God has accepted in Christ, sanctified by His Spirit, will never fall away from the state of grace, but shall persevere to the end.” Article V defines the doctrine of the Security of the Believer or the Perseverance of the Saint. They are also known as Eternal Security. Here are six reasons we can anchor our souls to the security we have in Jesus Christ.
- The Indwelling Spirit (Eph 1:13-14) – Paul tells us we have been sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. When we heard the gospel and believed it, the Spirit sealed us as a down payment of our inheritance.
- Our inheritance is kept in heaven – (1 Peter 1:4) Peter assurances us that our inheritance is kept in heaven where it is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading. How can we lose what we do not keep?
- God’s power guards us – Peter goes on to say, God’s power is guarding you “through faith for a salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time” (1 Peter 1:5). I would be concerned if I had to hold on to my salvation, but God is holding on.
- We have eternal life – John writes to the church and tells them why he’s written the letter. He writes, “I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life” (1 John 5:13). Quickly note he is writing to those who believe so that they may know they have eternal life. The believers already possess eternal life. God is a liar and can’t be trusted if it’s not eternal life.
- The promise of God – John 10:2-29 is very helpful. Jesus tells us that God gives us eternal life and we will never perish. No one can snatch them out of God’s hand. I’m overwhelmed by God’s goodness and grace as I read those verses. God gives us eternal life.
- The Love of God – Romans 8:31-39 – Paul is convinced that nothing can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. That’s good enough for me.
There is more I could say. I didn’t mention that God completes what he starts (See Philippians 1:6). Nor did I mention Jude’s promise that God can protect me from stumbling and present me before God without blemish and with great joy (Jude 1:24). We are saved by grace and kept by grace. We could do nothing to earn God’s free gift of salvation, and we can do nothing to lose our wonderful gift of eternal life. On a Twitter feed, Timothy Keller writes, “If you didn’t earn your salvation, how are you going to unearn it?”